The doctor said she couldn't stop me from running but if I kept doing what I was doing without addressing the problems I have going I would be at the start line of my marathons hating life and not enjoying them at all. At first I was like
So the plan of action is cross train baby. Ugh cross training is the worse. NOPE, no it is the best because at least I can do that. So today I got myself a month pass to the local gym with a pool and elliptical that also happens to have yoga classes. So I am gonna do a lot of that. I am also going to use my spin bike like it has never been used before.
Goal 1) Not lose any cardio fitness the next four weeks so the only thing I need to do is ease back into hitting the roads.
Goal 2) Hello strength- I am gonna gain some. I can lift. I can do yoga. I can do the strength exercises for my hip and core the doctor showed me like a boss.
Doctor's Short Term Plan for getting me up and running:
1) Injections of some medicine whose name I can't remember (not cortisone) to reduce inflammation and help with pain straight into my Achilles tendon. Hurts like heck when getting it, feels like heaven after.
2) Ultrasounds and some sort of electrical stimulation thingy
3) Brutal calf massage to get rid of knots and loosen Achilles tendon back up (try not to cry while this is happening)
4) repeat every two weeks for as long as it takes
5) Rest my poor aching bones who have had a lot of stress on them lately
Doctor's Long Term Plan for getting me up and running:
1) Work on strengthening hips and core to help mechanics in general
2) Custom orthotics for shoes
3) Stay away from flat shoes, going barefoot, minimalist footwear etc.
So what is actually wrong with me. Well my left foot is flat, my right foot is not. My foot needs better support than over the counter orthotics are giving it. Too much pronation, repetitive stress, running in shoes that did not have adequate heel to toe drop all just added up to over stressed Achilles and stress on several bones in my foot and shin that are showing warning signs of being on the road to a stress fracture. So now we heal.... and we CROSS TRAIN.
But enough about me..... what about you? Have you joined the giveaway for the Chicago Half Marathon entry yet? Get at it!
Any Traumatic news for you lately?
The Slurpee machine was also broken at 7 eleven today and that nearly did me in. Such a cruel, cruel world.