DPR Trail Half Marathon Race Review
DPR stands for Des Plaines River which we crossed a few times along the course. This is the second trail run I have done but the first that designated itself as an actual trail run with a trail briefing and everything. If you are looking for a challenge there is a 50 miler, a marathon and of course the half distance. They are all in the same area (the Half Day Forest Preserve which is near Vernon Hills, IL), though some courses were longer than others.
- awesome medal
- great shirt
- nice trail run
- good weather
- fun bbq after the race to refuel
- well organized and great volunteers
Cons of this race:
- this course seemed hard to me, I struggled the whole time, but I think it had more to do with me feeling off than the actual course being difficult. There were no large extended climbs or anything though some steep inclines to bridge crossings.
- there are only a couple of aid stations so bring your own water if you need it and your own fuel
- this race was a little on the expensive side for races around here ($80) so something to consider
After finishing this race I tried to choke down a burger before heading home but just couldn't do it for some reason. So instead I ate a cookie (funny had no trouble eating that) and headed home. I refueled with some Subway a few hours later, watched some TV while icing and compressing and got ready for round two- Monster Dash Chicago.