Saturday, February 11, 2012

In your honor

I haven't run since Tuesday's six miler. I have been stressed out and feeling under the weather basically I have been a giant whiny baby the last few days. Which I feel gives me an excuse to ignore working out at all costs. And I didn't really want to go out this morning. I did my normal bumble around the kitchen, sip coffee routine for awhile and then messed around online. Then I pulled up Runners World and was reminded that today is the virtual run in Memory of Sherry. And then I knew I had to run. At least three miles.

I don't personally know Sherry but her story is one I think every runner fears. I run alone. And I like to run alone. It gives me time to listen to the ridiculous pop music I love and my husband can't stand. It gives me time to focus on myself and/or what ever crisis I have conjured in my head for the day. It makes me feel strong and fast. It gives me goals to work towards that are mine and mine alone. I will finish a half marathon in under 2 hours. That will happen. For some people this goal is ridiculous or easy to obtain. For me it is a big deal. It gives me incentive to travel, meet new people and try new things.  It gives me an identity. I am a runner.

It makes me sad....no not sad, angry that bad things can happen to good people. That women have to think twice before going running alone. That there is a reason one must look over their shoulder. But I will not be made to think that I do not own the road I plod down. I will not be afraid to do what I love. The bib for Sherry's run says Courage. Strength. Grace. Words to live by. For Sherry, for all of my female friends who are runners, this run is for you.

1 comment:

  1. This is such a good post! I wish I remembered to do the run for Sherry. I saw some Sherry bibs in my race today, and I did think about her.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and commenting on my blog. I look forward to hearing from you!