NIM & the Silent Ranks

One of the cool things we got to do while D's parents were here for his Officer Candidate School Graduation was go to the National Infantry Museum. If you ever have the opportunity to go I would highly recommend it. I am usually not one for museums- I have the patience level of a toddler when it comes to these things- but even I really thought this was interesting. Below are some pictures from the museum.

The museum has several interactive exhibits and different sections divided in time by major conflicts.


 It is a lot to take in and I feel like I need another go around to soak it all in. There are several more exhibits opening in the near future so we will have to revisit.




This museum is free though there is a fairly aggressive person at the front asking for a $5 donation so I would say it is $5 to get in but on the bright side you get a sticker that says you donated. Well worth the $5.

FYI for readers: You may have noticed a subtle shift in the blog- less talk about running more talk about life. This may or may not continue. Being back in the military as a military spouse is interesting and I want to share a bit about what life in the 'silent ranks' is like. What are the silent ranks? Military families. It is a different kind of life than many people lead and I am excited to be part of it again. D and I had a run for a few years while he was enlisted, a few years break and now we are back in so it is a learning experience to get used to it again. Many things have changed and some have stayed the same. And when I say we are back in it really is we. While I might not wear a uniform, if your spouse is in the military you are too. I hope you will continue to share the ride with me as I continue to plod along!

"The Silent Ranks"

I wear no uniforms, no blues or army greens
But I am in the Army in the ranks rarely seen
I have no rank upon my shoulders - salutes I do not give
But the military world is the place where I live
I'm not in the chain of command, orders I do not get
But my husband is the one who does, this I can not forget
I'm not the one who fires the weapon, who puts my life on the line
But my job is just as tough. I'm the one that's left behind
My husband is a patriot, a brave and prideful man
And the call to serve his country not all can understand
Behind the lines I see the things needed to keep this country free
My husband makes the sacrifice, but so do our kids and me
I love the man I married, Soldiering is his life
But I stand among the silent ranks known as the Army Wife
 Author: Unknown







Comments

  1. I'm so glad some other educated lady is admitting that out loud about museums. I want to love them so badly, but sometimes love hurts...my eyes because they get so bored.

    And we used to live by a base in VA, and I absolutely agree that the whole family is in the service. Especially watching all the moms at home with kiddos while their dads were overseas. So much sacrifice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah museums- I am always like I should go and then I go and I can last about 45 minutes before wanting a snack and a nap. I don't know what is wrong with me.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading and commenting on my blog. I look forward to hearing from you!

Popular posts from this blog

Training Week 10/9/2017-10/15/2017....or lack of...

The forever taper

Wisconsin Marathon Race Review